Armed with a camera and an eye for the interesting, Idris Ahmed shoots photographs across genres. Along with his work as a professional photographer, he teaches photography courses and workshops at various institutes, conducts photo-expeditions and runs Photocommune, a collective of photography enthusiasts.
Idris started out as a photography instructor. Between classes, he travelled widely, documenting his sojourns with a camera. On one such trip, a serendipitous detour led him to Spiti, an enchanted valley that constantly draws him back. His tryst with Spiti inspired him to become a freelance photographer.
With Dorling Kindersley commissioning him to shoot for their guides to Israel, Sri Lanka, and Delhi, he continued to travel and photograph across the world. His oeuvre has since been exhibited in many galleries and cultural centres, including in solo shows at Alliance Française, Delhi and India International Centre. Idris continues to take up global assignments, but whether he’s shooting cityscapes in Tokyo or photographing the streets of Seoul, his gift for noticing the extraordinary in the middle of the mundane shines through.
On his diverse assignments, he has worked in studio setup with his team as well as alone on snow-sheathed mountains. But whether he is undertaking a commercial project, exploring a new locale or mentoring aspiring photographers, Idris does what he is most passionate about—reimagining the world through his viewfinder.
- Solo show at Alliance Française, Delhi, 2010
- Group exhibition ‘SOS Ladakh’ with NDTV Good times in Delhi, Hyderabad, Chennai and Bangalore in 2010
- Solo show at India International Centre, Delhi, 2011
- Work selected for the 53rd National Exhibition of Art (organized by Lalit Kala Academy), 2011
- Group exhibition ‘Panchatatva’ at Birla Academy, Kolkata in 2011
- Group exhibition ‘Timeless’ at Lalit Kala Academi, Delhi in 2013
- Group exhibition ‘Saturday the last’ at NIV Art Centre, Delhi in 2013
- Group exhibition ‘Living the Dream’ at Art Portfolio, Chandigarh in 2013
- Group exhibition ‘Timeless’ at NCPA, Mumbai in 2013
- Group exhibition ‘4th Dimension’ at Triveni kala Sangam, Delhi in 2016